Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Aug 10, 2013

End of Summer Blues

I know that a lot of parents are happy about school starting again. Back to the eight, blessed hours a day that the kids have somebody else to fill up all of their "bored" time. I have never been one of those parents. I like it when my kids are home.

But the last few days have been something new. Approaching our very first school year starting out with all six at home, the only thing the school year is bringing is more to add to our schedule, with a side of even more time together.

Now keep in mind, I'm the mom who loves when we have blizzards because we are stuck in the house and nobody can go anywhere and I get to live out all of my Laura Ingalls fantasies. But this summer, the kids haven't seen their dad in over a month, which means they have been with me 24-7 for weeks, except two nights they spent with their aunts. No problem - I got this.

The major problem is that they have been with each other that much.This results in a lot of down time spent plotting new ways to launch hangers and shoes at one another, and the only people who are safe from such assaults are the ones nearest mom.

That means that, for about three weeks now, I have had at least one person glued to me for 16 hours of the day.

A normal day in my house looks like this:
Please be kind to my child with the Hershey Kiss head. Also the one with the short leg, as he makes up for it with his giant face.

And during the summer, most of the days look like this:


But the last few weeks have more like:
 

So as you can see, we could use a little break. Next week, they will be going to see a grandmother. If all goes well, the hanger launching will be forgotten by the time we start school.