Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Aug 14, 2007

Jesus Salad

My children have come up with the strangest names for things, as I am sure all children have. We have new names for almost everything in our house. Here are a few...

"mamoke" means remote
"la-la" means pacifier
"ya-ya" and "mo-mo" both mean Elmo
"swole-ing" means garage sale (I have no idea...)

There are some words that we just don't like, so we make them a little better...

foots instead of feet
bestest (who hasn't said that?), gooder (better) and badder (as in my brother was badder than me, so I shouldn't be in trouble)
mine instead of ours... :)
woowoowoowoo instead of dog
aaaaahhhhhhh instead of horse...
mouse trapper instead of mouse trap

...see? These are just more fun. They are gooder than the real words.

Being boys, and everything being a contest, the oldest have come up with about a hundred ways to say fast...fire fast, super fast, superman fast...I am not sure which one is the fastest, but that is probably good, because each son can think that his word is the fastest, and everyone is happy.

We have a little chore chart that we use to try to bribe our oldest four into doing what we want. (This doesn't work, either, by the way.) We call it a star chart. My two year old daughter can not say those two words together to save her life. She can say each of them separately, but together, they come out without fail as "char start", making it sound as if we are going to burn down the house every evening that they have done well. The funniest thing is that she has the boys saying it, now, and they can't get it right. So at bedtime every night, we have five kids running around yelling,"YAY! It's time to char start! YAY!!!!!"

The best here lately is a new phrase. Jesus Salad is the name of a rosary. I have some idea of how this got started, but it is still a little shaky. I think it has something to do with the fact that it is green. I overheard the boys talking about it, and it went something like this...
6 yr. old - I want this one because it's my favorite color.
5 yr. old - Well, I want this one, it's blue.
6 yr. old - That's blueish-greenish
4 yr. old - It looks like a salad
6 yr. old - It can't be a salad - it's a rosary.
5 yr. old - It's Jesus Salad color.
Other two in unison -- ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
And now, every night, we have a huge fight over who gets to use "Jesus Salad", which is odd, considering that none of my kids will go near a salad, and cry when I drag them to church, insisting that there is no way it has been seven days already. Maybe if we come up with better names for church and salad, I would have the healthiest church-goers around.