Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

May 9, 2011

Too Classy for Shoes

It's hot outside, yo.  Like, middle of summer, Fourth of July, forgot to bring water hot.  It requires an entirely different wardrobe that is not at all appropriate for leaving the house.  I think we're going on day three of it.

The good part of that is school is almost out.  Three more weeks for the kids and four for me.  Then we're going to fill up the gas tank and drive till we run out and hope that's somewhere near a lake.  An air conditioned lake.

The kids are convinced we're going to Mexico for the summer.  All I said was, "Mexico would be a fun trip...when it's not all scary and expensive."  Two minutes later they had their bags packed and were sitting in the car waiting for me to leave.  I don't know whose kids they think they are, but not once has our family done anything that would cause these children to believe we are going to just up and go to Mexico.  Ever.

Well, there was that one time I said, "We need to get groceries," and we left about twelve hours later; but that's as crazy as it gets around here.

On a different note, Donovan officially has no shoes.  I am not sure what happened, because he had the most diverse footwear wardrobe of any kid I've ever known.  Somehow, he has managed to ruin or lose every singe pair.  Sunday, he wore the right side to each of his two pairs of black shoes, because all the lefts were missing.  Today, he wore shoes made of mud -- the product of a trip through the pasture last week after it rained and the discovery of a pond.  I told him he can't have more shoes till he gets a job, but he's totally fine with that.  He has hobbit feet, anyway.

Today, I almost got divorced.  It was the scariest morning of my life, and now I know why people have to bring their posse to the courtroom with them.  But it didn't happen, and it turns out court was like sitting in a sauna in professional attire while lawyers discussed how they may be too hungover on July 5 to present their cases.  If I ever DO get divorced, I'm taking my sisters and my mom and my brothers and my dad and all my friends and a bodyguard.

The End.