Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

May 4, 2011

Trying to Quit, as My Dad Would Say

*ahem* :::smooths hair, adjusts clothing:::

I am sorry for the rant last night.  I think I am better now.

In sharp contrast to the children's school, MY classes are going beautifully.  They are going so well, in fact, that I am actually getting myself in trouble.  However, I have learned once again that I am a grammar snob; and I could take English classes forever and be truly happy.  Too bad there aren't many jobs requiring "someone to correct my text messages, status updates, and tweets."

This week we are working on a biography (for fourth grade, that is) and a covered wagon.  It should be quite interesting.  The covered wagon requires my meeting at least five other parents from the third grade.  People I have spent all year not meeting, and now we need to find at least one free evening in common so that we can come together and create a covered wagon.

This project will take about three weeks' preparation, and provide a total of one hour of fun for the kiddos.  Unless it is anything like the land run we did when I was a kid.  In that case, it's one hour of sitting inside a circle formed with rope, getting eaten by bugs, and hanging out with four random kids I hadn't bothered to like all year long.  (Not getting to know people is a long-standing habit of mine, it seems.)

Anyway, it's a great bonding experience or something, I'm sure.  So yay that!

I'm not being sarcastic. 

No I'm not. 

Nuh-uh. 

Shut up.

I do like my kids and I even like their teachers.  I just don't like anyone who puts things on my calendar unless they are me.  And since I much prefer a calendar with all blank squares, I'm pretty sure I don't like the people filling in all that beautiful blankness with STUFF.

Ok, I said I was done and apparently am not.  Just wait, Interwebz....when May is over, I'll be so full of happy giddiness that you'll think I started working at Starbucks.