Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Jul 22, 2011

Papaw

This week has been a whirlwind of truck fixing and hanging with friends and hospital visits. It's already been documented that my family has a crazy gene that only shows up in the dark quiet halls of hospitals late at night. My grandfather's move to ICU a couple of days ago has given us all lots of time to be roaming and driving nurses up the wall.

I think my grandpa is getting tired of our antics, too, and tried this morning to trick the hospital staff into taking him back for surgery (any old surgery he could get, I think) early in order to get out and go home sooner. I can't blame him, either. They should totally allow the barter system when it comes to surgery. "I'll take your amputation today if you take my gall bladder surgery tomorrow. I go home sooner and you get free meals for an extra day -- win/win, right?"

The thing about my Papaw is that he's very funny, but he's usually very serious, so not everyone gets to see that side. It's what made us grandkids love him growing up, though. Here is my Papaw Triolet, from a family assignment a few years back.

Oogly Googly Goo!
Hey, Hey, good lookin'.
I am speaking the language of you-know-who.
Oogly Googly Goo!
Keep your belly in, or he'll get you!
Good chili cookin'.
Oogly Googly Goo!
Hey, Hey, good lookin'.

Only our family would understand this, but it sums things up pretty well. Please, my friends, say an extra prayer for him tomorrow!