Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Aug 22, 2011

Bergershnerger, Interwebz

I get a lot of advice for some reason. Perhaps I seem to need it.

For instance -- divorce. People see you're in a bad situation. They know that it's not really safe for you. They argue with any protestation of standing for marriage.

Then you finally do it. You leave.

Then you realize that you're doing everything you can and it's just not good enough. Nothing will ever meet anyone's standards again for the rest of your life. Your kids misbehave, they have crap on their faces, they rip their jeans and lose their shoes. Your can't fix your stupid truck no matter how hard you try. It takes two weeks to fix the dryer because you sometimes have to stop being the dad and be the mom. You eat chicken nuggets for dinner because there isn't time in the day to use the stove or the oven. You decide between going back to work for minimum wage or going back to school and trying to be successful. You work your ass off at school because you know that you have to be dependent on other people until you're done. You try to balance raising your children and cleaning your house and mowing your yard and getting your oil changed and feeding the dog and making sure there are groceries in the house and you never even have a chance to find out how your son's first day of school really  went because you had to worry about keeping everyone else from ripping your head off.

Because you know what? Leaving a marriage takes about a week. But I'm going to be doing this job FOREVER.

So guess what? I'm sorry, Interwebz. I will never be good enough. I never was, and I never will be. I'm ok with that. I'm even more sorry that you're not. But this is what you get. I can't do any more, and I can't even do what I've been doing for much longer. Thanks for all the support -- it's really awesome to that people will always be available to tell me HOW everything should be done. It's more awesome that people can be so smugly assured of how much better than I they would handle my situation. I'm sure they would -- I am the LEAST qualified person in the world to be raising these kids and trying to keep everything from caving in. I mean that. But I'm who I'm stuck with, so please lay off. I'm doing the best I can. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...Reply to comment

You are doing a better job than most people would in the same circumstance. How you have kept going, surrounded continuously by adversity, is beyond me. Keep up the good work, Hon!! You are doing a great job!!

MannyRee said...Reply to comment

@Anonymous

Thank you. :)