Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Nov 9, 2009

What I Do All Day

Many a wife has been asked the question "What have you done all day?". We won't say who asks the question -- this is a nice blog. I wasn't asked the question at all, but I am prompted to make a list because of "extenuating circumstances". Or whatever -- I'm compelled.


So, my gift to the moms -- just hit the print button, or copy and paste and fill in what I've missed.

Get kids dressed X 18 (morning, post-spills, after baths/bedtime)
Brush hair X 4
Style hair X 2 (this does not include my own)
Find 6 pairs of shoes X 1-2
Find pacifiers X 15
Make breakfast X 5 (one eats a school)
Find backpacks X 6 (before school, after school, and homework time)
Home school X 5 hours per day
Keep the kids safe, alive and mostly happy X not sure how to multiply this one
Make lunch X 4 (also not for myself)
Draw coloring pages X 4
Find "other activities" for youngest two X 20
Get the baby out of the toilet, refrigerator, sink, pantry, and street X 75
Force the older two to be respectful and obedient X 10
Take out the trash X 2 (the boys usually take it out a few times, too.)
Clean entire kitchen X 2
Clean anything else that I have time for X whatever I have time for
Wash clothes X 3
Dry clothes X 3
Fold clothes X 3
Put away clothes X 4 (the baby likes to play in the closet)
Oops, get the baby out of the closet X 1 (NO, not that closet!!)
Take kids to school X 1
Go back to school for something X 0.3
Get the kids from school X 1
Serve snacks X 12
Help with homework X 3-4
Make "art" with kids X 5
Discipline X 100
Praise good behavior X 200 (Is that optimistic? Maybe.)

Wow, I just realized how boring this really is...let's skip some things...

Make dinner for 8 X 1
Clean up from dinner X 1
Wipe faces X 10
Get ready for bed X 6 (not myself)
Put children in their beds X 20 (they don't do this part of the day well at all)
Change diapers X 5

This is not to mention some of the things you can't measure on a day-to-day basis, but still take time...

Grocery shopping
Instilling morality
Teaching manners
Obtaining clothing for everyone
Keeping us in friends
Staying in touch with family and making plans
Planning birthday parties
Buying all gifts
Bathing people
School parties and field trips
Remembering birthdays for ALL family members
Arranging babysitters
Gigantic household chores that nobody even knows need to be done
Christmas
Thanksgiving
Halloween
All Saints Day
Easter
Answering the phone and the door all day
Getting up at night with kids
Cleaning up after and taking care of sick kids

Ok, I am bumming myself out here, I can't do it anymore...

A list of what I do for myself:
Get a 10 minute shower if I stay up really late or get up really early
Fix my hair once every month
Brush my teeth every day
Drink coffee (all day) and check my email/FB for about 10 mintues twice a day, while the kids eat
Girls Night about 6 times per year, after I arrange childcare
Talk to friends on the phone, usually every day, maybe an hour, while I clean
At bedtime, I write, watch TV and/or play on FB until I feel my muscles un-tense a little
I sleep about 4-5 hours per day

So, if you ever wondered what I do, there it is. There are many joys to all of these things. I wouldn't trade my life as a stay-at-home mom for anything. This is merely a list for the "people" who tend to ask the question, usually wondering why moms don't get more done. Maybe tomorrow I can write a list of the things that make it all worthwhile.