Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Apr 4, 2011

Chats with Emma

In explanation of my huge driving rant yesterday, I had been cut off by a guy in a pickup, and I just think they should have more manners than that...or else drive something more jerky, like a Porsche.  I was disillusioned, and I don't like that.  Dudes in pickups shouldn't act like dudes in jerk-mobiles, is my point.

Today, I had a quiet dinner with Emma, because the other kids failed to come home in time to eat.  It was very interesting, because that girl can talk non-stop for hours with no need for me to make any reply.  I sometimes forget this because Madilynn is usually present to divert Emma's attention.

She told me all about why she had to bring rocks to school in her pockets today.  It seems that her preschool teacher suffers from arithmomania and is always insisting the kids bring things to class to let her count them.  Emma brought rocks because she could fit a lot of them in her pocket, and was hoping that her teacher would be able to finally count to 142, because she never gets to count that high.  I think a mark of a good teacher is that the kids have no idea they're the ones learning something, and this teacher has it down.  Or maybe she became a preschool teacher because she is Count von Count from Sesame Street.  You never know.

Emma and her teacher


Whatever the case may be, rocks were required, as well as a two-hour long discussion over dinner.