Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Apr 13, 2011

Laughter is the best medicine, but only if you're the patient

It's been so long since I've blogged that my site doesn't even recognize me anymore.

This week has been insane.  My grandmother had a heart attack Saturday, and has been in the hospital.  My sisters and I went up Monday and Tuesday evening to visit her.  Monday, as we were leaving, there was an elderly woman being carted to another room from the elevator.  As her bed wheeled past me, my two pregnant sisters, and the other sister carrying her newest baby, the woman got a somewhat terrified look on her face, turned around and asked the guy pushing her "Am I on the maternity ward???  Why am I on the maternity ward?"  Poor lady....we frightened her.  Then, we laughed so hard that the family on the elevator didn't want us with them and we had to wait for the next one.  Apparently, it's not polite to giggle insanely in a hospital.

Which turned out to be a bummer the next night when we were visiting my grandmother who had just finished a procedure and was coming off the sedatives.  She was hilarious, emphasis on the HI.  We were trying so hard not to laugh, because every time we did, she would suddenly become extremely aware and ask why we were laughing.

She asked for some "not cold" water, so when April tried to give it to her, my grandmother asked if it was cold.  April said "Well, it's a little chilly".  So my grandmother, forgetting her previous question, said "There's the thermostat right there."  She then proceeded to blow into the straw, at which Ashley suggested that maybe our grandma thought April was the respiratory therapist.  I had to hide behind the bed to laugh and told my sisters they were all grounded from talking.

We asked the nurse if we could perhaps have some of whatever they were giving my grandma (the meds, not the pudding), but she said no.  Which was too bad, because Marcy could have used it when she left her cell phone with my aunt right before her husband started sending naughty text messages.  (Which wasn't actually a true story, but it was really funny while we thought it was.)

My cousin in at the same hospital, so we got to go visit her a little, too.  She wasn't high or anything but she's still kinda funny.  My family is inappropriately hilarious at hospitals, is my point, which is why we like to go visit sick people so much, but maybe also why sick people don't want us to.