Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Apr 15, 2011

Tree Fairies

Tornadoes in Oklahoma are the embodiment of why we live here.  Science, thrill, entertainment, family bonding...they have it all.  This year has been pretty scant on the fun stuff so far, even though we went from 90 degrees to below freezing since last night.  Whatever, tornadoes, don't make us start getting actual "culture" up in here.

Today, we had serious straight-line winds.  I was going to pick the kids up from school, when some lady coming from the opposite direction flashed her lights and started pointing behind her vehicle.  I thought she was warning me about a police cruiser, but when I got over the hill, there was a tree laying across the road.  Two SUVs were driving up into a field to go around it. 

Ninja Truck isn't quite ready for four wheeling, as he is only 2WD, so we stopped to see if we could move the tree.  There was another guy pulling up who got out to help.  I didn't really look up, but shortly, two more men got out to help and we got the tree and the loose branches cleared out of the road in about five minutes.

When I looked back up, I realized there were about twenty vehicles waiting on each side of the tree.  One guy in a silver Charger, who I swear is the same guy who cuts me off every day on my way home from class, had pulled up to get in front of my truck, and then proceeded to sit in his car and watch the four of us move an entire tree.

None of the other people got out to help, either.  I ran back to my truck thinking that maybe those other people just figured we were the magic tree fairies that clear things out of the road when they happen to fall into it.  Then, I noticed a strange thing that proved my earlier post about what kind of people drive certain sorts of vehicles.  The three guys who got out to help also happened to be driving the only three pickup trucks in that huge line of cars.  Everyone else were either women in SUVs (like me, only my truck wasn't born in the last six months, and also, I stopped believing in tree fairies when I was five), or men in fancy cars.

So, point proven.  And Charger Dude?  Ninja Truck is on alert for you from now on....