Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Mar 1, 2011

Second Best Mom, Bless Your Heart

Here's the thing about being a mom...it's a thankless job. Nobody ever comes to you and says "You know? If it weren't for you, the inside of the washing machine would never be clean", because they don't even know it has to be done. Nobody appreciates the fact that it literally takes six hours to obtain food and install it into the pantry. The closest you're going to get is when someone yells "Mom?? Do I have any pants?" and you say yes and they wear them. Instead of pajamas. Basically, when your kid leaves the house in clothing, consider yourself thanked.

Last night, Dalton (who is the king of charm) told me that I am the best mommy in the world and he would've cried if he got any mom but me and the only mom who was ever better than me was Mary, because she was Jesus' mom, but otherwise, I was the best. Warrick, not wanting to get left out, said "I agree. And other parents think you're great, too...that's why they always say 'bless your heart'".

Which, ok, I guess it's not always thankless, because that made me laugh and cry all at once. But it reminded me of a conversation in which someone was explaining why "bless your heart" is deemed as an insult. After reading a little and talking to a few people, I realized that the phrase seems to be an insult if you're from the south. In the south, it's used for people who have just really messed things up. "Oh, well, ever since he got fired, Johnny just sits in the basement and drinks all day, bless his heart." Something like that.

Although I like to think of myself as southern, we don't have the same manners, the same food or the same phrases here, so I know some of my readers are from the south, can you clear this up for me please? Because when someone blesses my heart, I'm all "thanks, man, because dragging these kids through Walmart can't be good for the ticker, ya know?"