Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Jan 12, 2011

Big Words and Teachers

If I hear the word "amortization" one more time this week, my brain will explode.

I hate that word. It just sounds mean and mathly and sucky, doesn't it?

Also, "depreciation" and "depletion" and "intangible assets". I don't like those, either.

I want to do real work with tangible assets. As a writer, I can appreciate the value of some intangible assets, like copyrights. But seriously? The only thing I like about accounting is how things just work and there isn't any guessing and things fall into place and there is no chaos. But once you throw in "intangibles"....isn't that chaos? I know it is in real life.

And you'd think that I would be really good at chaos, but I have a letter from Warrick's teacher that claims otherwise. She wants to know "what can we do to help Warrick get to school on time?"

I made her a list:
  1. Come over in the evening and find clothes and shoes for everyone.
  2. Then put them to bed at a decent hour.
  3. AFTER they've done six hours of homework, needed chores (skip making the bed, go look for firewood because it's cold in here), and whatever they have time for as far as eating, bathing and spending time with their family.
  4. Come back in the morning and tell them to get out of bed.
  5. Tell them again.
  6. And again.
  7. One more time, only really loud.
  8. Smack them until they actually get out of bed.
  9. Find their clothes and shoes because a ghost took them after you found them last night.
  10. Find and sign the homework that their little brother scattered.
  11. Physically carry the younger kids to the car one at a time, because I know you didn't find those shoes. Make sure you keep the gate shut or you'll have to chase the dog out of the neighbor's chicken coop.
  12. Put seat belts on everyone.
  13. Do it again about every half mile.
  14. Make the line at the school go faster, because if you don't let the kids in until 8:30, and they are late at 9:00, it shouldn't take 45 minutes to get through the line. I'm no math teacher or anything, but that doesn't add up. (I can tell you all about amortization, though.)
  15. If all else fails, you could talk the bus driver into not skipping our stop.

Thanks so much! :D