Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Jan 8, 2011

Lie to Me

One thing that has been made clear to me is how little I trust myself.

When I was married, I remember a time my husband told me he went to Sonic. I was like "Oh, why did it take you four hours?" Because, clearly he was lying and who can argue with that logic? He said, "They messed up the order and I had to go back and it took forever and then my phone rang and it was some guy wanting to know about this...." And he talked for so long I forgot what we were talking about. Later, when I remembered that he was lying to me, I didn't really believe myself anymore because surely he said something in there that explained everything.

There was another time when I was with this other, completely different, not ever married to me guy, and I found this *ahem* video under his chair. He said "Huh. I've never seen that before." And I was all, "Huh. That's weird. Wonder how it got there." And it only took me about six months to realize that I shouldn't have believed him. I mean, luckiest dude in the world right there, and he doesn't even take advantage of it, right? haha Oh...I mean, yeah, I guess he did. Damn it! See what I mean?

I believe my kids over myself, too. My son has gotten out of going to school about twenty times this year because I think, what if he really is sick this time? And I send him to school anyway? That would be so sad! Poor little baby! And he stays home and I miss class and he plays video games and by about one in the afternoon, when he still doesn't have a fever, I realize what's going on.

I don't know why I don't believe myself when I know that I'm always right. I want to think it's because I believe the best about people, so when they tell me they aren't doing something screwed up, I want to be the one who is wrong. Honestly, though, I don't think that's the reason. It probably has something to do with my inability to pay attention to someone long enough to catch them lying. They're all "Yeah, well, I was..." And by "was", I'm already doing taxes in my head and planning my platform for my presidential campaign. And rather than admit to that, I'm all "cool, yo."

I am writing about this because I have no time or even really any inclination to change this about myself, so if you could all just spread the word that people shouldn't take advantage of this quirk, it would make things so much easier.