Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Jan 20, 2011

Our Weekly Date with the Plumber

I live in an old house, and apparently, plumbing didn't come standard back in the '50's. It took one cold snap to put us without water for a couple days.

My washer hasn't worked ever since (which is killer in with so many kiddos in the house), and I'm pretty sure there is a missing or cracked pipe involved.

Today was another cold day. We were stuck in the house because of icy roads.

So the toilet quit working.

Why would the toilet work when four out of seven of us have the flu, and we can't leave the house?

I plunged it lots of times and every time I thought I had it working...well, I was wrong.

I am quite the handyman sometimes, but since I used to be married - only I was the woman in the relationship (sort of), I didn't get to keep the tools in the divorce. I only got to keep my drill, but he lost the battery when I was moving out. Long story short, sometimes we make our own tools around this house.

So I made a snake out of wire hangers. Don't tell anyone this, because I'm sure there is something fundamentally wrong with sticking wire hangers in the toilet, but what was I to do?

The problem with hangers is that they're a little too bendy. They just fold up as soon as they hit a bend in the pipes. And then, when you try to get them out, they get stuck. So you either have a toilet with a seriously long metal wire poking out of it, or you pull as hard as you can and land on your bootay with toilet water splashing everywhere when it finally comes out.

This may have happened once, or possibly three times. However many times it was, it worked for five minutes, so I put all the kids in diapers and told them to try to hold it until school tomorrow. This is why I am ok with public schools...free plumbing.