Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Feb 14, 2011

In Honor of St. Valentine's Day

It is NOT sucky to be single on Valentine's Day. I got a call today that was dripping with pity for me, because I don't have a Valentine.

Here's the thing...
I haven't met many people who know what to do with this day. There is all this stress over what you are supposed to get the person, and both people are saying they don't really want anything, and both people are upset when they get nothing, and you can't get into a restaurant to save your life....It's exhausting.

So I haven't ever really done much to celebrate this day. There was a time a couple years ago that I got to spend the whole evening listening to my husband snore, because he felt it would be more romantic if he slept on the couch while I watched TV, rather than going to bed right after work. So that was something.

This year was great. Donovan and my mom gave me chocolate. I had a burger. I went to Walmart OMGalone. Best. Valentine's Day. Ever.

Sometimes, it's hard to be single, but I save those days for when I have to carry all the groceries in by myself or if I really want to take a nap and nobody can watch the kids. Valentine's Day? Nah.

Weddings...those I understand, because you need someone to gossip with afterward. But there isn't much V-Day gossip except what's already all over Facebook. And you don't need to come home to gossip about Facebook, that's the beauty of it, you just splat whatever you want on someone's status and you're done. No gossip needed.

So, to my single friends (who are few), I'm not even talking to you today, because I don't feel sorry for you at all. Unless you had to put my kids to bed after...then I feel bad for you, and also apologize. That is a sad situation.