Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Feb 1, 2011

It's Cold, yo

There's lots of snow, it's really cold, and the wind is blowing which equals a blizzard. Also? There's a blizzard in my laundry room. I woke up to this:


And now it's 12 hours later and the snow in my house hasn't even started to melt. BTW, the paper towels got there from the blizzard, too, which is another way you know you're in a blizzard...paper towel invasion. Also BTW, paper towels don't keep a blizzard out of your laundry room and neither do all of the kitchen rugs in your house.


There is a huge doorway between my laundry room and kitchen, so I put a big blanket over it to try to keep the blizzard out of the kitchen. All it did was make a blanket balloon, and the blizzard came in anyway.


I put a blanket over the door and some more over the windows, and all that did was to force the blizzard to come in with more force through smaller areas. So I put two mattresses in front of the doorway to the laundry room, thinking I could sacrifice the laundry room if only the kitchen would remain un-blizzarded.


That didn't work, either.


So I put another blanket between the two mattresses, only it wasn't long enough, so the blizzard was still coming through the original blanket balloon, both mattresses and the new blanket balloon.


I put the trashcan in front of that and we ate in the living room. I was able to cook dinner by keeping the oven hot and baking my hands every time they became unable to hold a spoon.


While I was constructing my blizzard trap, I let the fire go out. I'm not very good at making fire, especially when all the little sticks are buried under three feet of snow, and all the paper in the house is already burned up from the fire I started this morning.


So I sat in front of the tiny little pieces of coals, and said "Please, coals, turn back into fire? Please?" And they did.


Then I had to find even more blankets for the kids' beds, because most of the blankets were part of my trap, and then I thought maybe I could use the blankets to tie the kids to the beds so they would....uh...stay warm, you know? But that didn't work, so now I'm hoping that the cold will slow the kids down enough that I can put them back to bed and they will fall asleep before they thaw.