Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Feb 6, 2011

Snow Days

After nearly a week cooped up in the house with the kids, I have had so many phone calls and texts sympathizing with my plight and telling me I need to get out of the house. I was shocked, because I loved every minute of it. I have always loved snow days, but this year, I love them even more.

There is not a day of the week when I get to be at home. Every weekday is three hours in the car getting everyone where they need to go for school and nine hours away from the house. Saturdays I drive out to the kids' dad's house to pick them up (this is a three hour trip). Sundays are chaotic, with church and two families to visit. I feel like I don't even live at my house most of the time, and no matter how crazy people think I am for it, I love my house.

Snow days are like this:
Sleep in
Drink coffee and read a book
(Did you hear that? I said read a book.)
Make fire
Sit by fire
Cook stuff that tastes good and isn't nuggets
Clean things I haven't had time to clean since last winter
Watch movies with the kids
Read some more
Talk on the phone
Play on the computer
Sit by the fire some more
Play in the snow
Stay up late

New Flash, Interwebz, this is my dream life. I know I am lazy and anti-social and whatever else you want to call that, but snow days are the only days when the world lets me do exactly what I want to do.

There are definite good things about warm weather and I do miss them, but snow days are specifically tailored to my top priorities in life. Coffee and books. Oh, and the kids. I used to be a mom. Here lately, I am a mom for about five minutes a day. It's nice to hang out with my kids. And it's nice to read three novels in a week. And it's nice to hear the fire crackling and blog about nothing because nothing has happened.

Tomorrow is Monday, and I guess now that the snow is gone, we have to go to school again. The teachers will resume telling me how to raise my kids, the kids will resume acting like the little monsters that school turns them into, I will resume kicking butt at adding things, and we will resume eating nuggets for dinner. But it's all coming back on Wednesday, and we get another vacation at home, and I'm going to be ALL OVER IT after a little trip to Barnes and Noble and the firewood place (or wherever it is you get firewood). And if they try to take summer break away because of all the snow days, we are skipping class, because I heart summer even more than snow days. Also because I get to be lazy.