Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Oct 11, 2010

An In Depth Look At The English Language

I want to know why "bad words" are bad. Why is it ok to say what those words mean, but not say the actual word? Who made up the words and how did they become profane? I wanna' know, seriously.

After three and a half minutes of highly focused research (which included some serious questioning of Google), I have learned:

1. The British like to talk about their swearing more than we Americans, and I can hardly blame them. They are actually quite witty when they swear, and we Americans just sound vulgar. Maybe it's the accent, however my personal belief is that they have better words than we. For instance, they can say "bloody" and it just ups the quotient of whatever comes after. They get to say b****r, and well, that's a really bad word, and I think we should use it here because it doesn't sound as bad as the one that we use, but it's actually a little worse.

2. As for the one that we use, Google legend has it that it was tattooed onto the foreheads of rapists, and stood for Forced Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, which, awesome, because who wouldn't just make an acronym out of all those words? Did those guys even know what they meant when they were being charged with it? So, I'm not really sure how that made it from an acronym to a curse word, because, well, it doesn't make sense. Maybe that's the point.

3. I am glad that Google sat around and learned everything for us for a few million years, so that I don't have to ask real people questions or buy encyclopedias and stuff.

4. I'm declaring a few more words that are bad. I declared "shall" the other day. Well, actually, I guessed that it may already be a bad word, but if it's not, I am officially declaring it now. Also? Farfugnugen. It means the "S" word. (as in Shut Up) And "hereby". Hereby is a foul, foul word, and it would be lots of fun if, every time to have to read any legalese, you replace "hereby" with "hell" in your head..."...and hell, it is decided that blah blah blah, who reads that farfugnugen anyway?" Sounds better, right? So, hereby = BAD WORD. And wherein. That should be a bad word too.

You are welcome.