Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Oct 26, 2010

Ramblings

It sometimes amazes me that my kids know more than I about my own technology. I had to ask my seven year old how to use my iPhone when I got that. And he knew. Even though it's not like he had one.

All of the kids are very computer savvy, which is a good thing and a bad thing, I guess. They use computers a lot for school already. I was never required to use a computer even in college...which was like, a year ago, I think.

Most of my kids know what they're doing on the computer and can find and play the few games I allow them to play, and Boy Eldest is getting pretty good at editing papers in Word. They're a little spotty on the lingo...Madilynn uses the word "dotcom" in place of "website"...as in "Is this the only dotcom you have at your house?" to my sister. Or "I want one of those toys! What's the dotcom?" Cracks me up. Actually, I'm probably wrong, and nobody is even saying website anymore...who knows?

Donovan, who's only purpose in life is to be the baby of this family, loves the computer. He just scrolls all over the screen clicking away, never knowing what's going to happen. He likes to watch movies on Hulu while he messes with the settings on Adobe. He likes to write emails or Facebook statusii if I happen to leave them open..."alyhcnaoeiurabg;kajhtfa". His favorite thing is to flip the display upside down. This drives me nuts. If you press Ctrl Alt UP, it flips your display, but it's easy to fix. If you do it with the mouse, it's harder, because the mouse moves backwards when your display is the wrong way. I had to use the upside down Google today to remind myself how to fix it because I hadn't had coffee yet. It took about an hour. I would have used my phone, but Donovan was busy downloading apps and posting his Scrabble scores on Facebook.

He was sweet about it, though. When I asked for it back he said "Here, I'll put it on your game", and pressed the icon for texts.