Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Oct 5, 2010

Dinner Talks

Tonight I had the brilliant idea that we should start learning to be nice to each other and less bitchy by telling one thing each day that we are thankful for, and one nice thing about the person to our right at dinner. 

This was a fabulous idea.

Because kids love this stuff.

Really.

Like, when I was a kid and we got into a fight, we had to hold hands for an extended period of time with the sibling with whom we were fighting.  That was really awesome of my mom and dad.  It was.  The thing is, it worked.

So I made the kids tell one thing they were thankful for today.

Warrick:  My birthday dinner with Mimi and Pawpaw.
Huston:  I'm glad that we can go play with Daniel.  (Hmmm...nobody was thankful for mommy yet.)
Dalton:  I want to be thankful for something that happened a long time ago.  I am thankful for Cameron (best friend from preschool) for showing me what it means to be a good friend.  (AWWWWW!)
Madilynn:  um.  School!
Emma:  Yeah, school!
Donovan:  I go to school and play with blocks.  NO!  (Because, of course, "no" has to be in there somewhere)

Then, they had to say something nice about the person sitting to their right.

Warrick:  Huston is always there for me and helps me when I need it.
Huston:  Mommy is nice because she breastfed us.  (O.M.G. seriously???  :::mommy looks for therapists:::)
Mommy:  Huston, really...can you please be serious?
Huston:  I am!  If you hadn't, we all would have died, and that wouldn't have been nice.  So it was nice for you to feed us from your belly.
Mommy:  :::dies:::
Huston:  You asked us to say something nice, and I think that was nice, so...
Mommy:  OK!  Yes, haha, I did.  Ok...moving along...I like Donovan's smile.  Donovan, can you show us your smile?
Donovan:  NO!
Mommy:  Ok, can you say something nice about Madi? 
Donovan:  Um, school.  Play blocks.
Madilynn:  Yeah, I helped you with your blocks at Mimi's house.
Donovan:  Nooooo. 
Mommy:  Ok, moving along...Madi?
Madilynn:  Dalton is a very good brother, and he helps me when I get stuck.
Dalton:  I do?  :::plots to quit making life so easy on Madilynn:::  Ummm....there's got to be something good about Warrick....
Mommy:  Dalton, this isn't the time. 
Dalton:  Ok, Warrick is a good brother and he helps me when I need it. (When in doubt, just copy everyone else)

Warrick:  Mommy, what are you thankful for today?
Mommy:  I'm thankful that we could sit here all through dinner and have a nice talk without any fighting or complaining.
Huston:  I'm still thankful for the feeding thing...
Mommy:  AHEM!  Let's just go back to the fighting, shall we?

Tell me, Interwebz, do I get him "help"???