Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Oct 13, 2010

Personality Tests

Today at school I had to take one of those personality tests for some seminar on "How Not to Kill Your Coworkers" or something tomorrow.  I despise those tests!  For one thing, I'm at school for accounting, not for finding myself.  And not to learn how not to kill people, or whatever it is.  I just wanna get the piece of paper that says I know stuff and go get a damn job, that's it.  Obviously, I manage to not kill people every day, so I think 30 years experience speaks for itself.  Especially when I am my father's daughter and especially even more when I was my ex's wife and most especially when I am a ninja. 

However, this stuff is "required", which means you get suspended or something if you don't go, so I had to take the stupid test.

The other reason I hate those tests is because I am never anything.  I am usually 25% of each of the four personalities, which means I never belong anywhere.  I honestly don't know how people end up being just one color (this one labels us as colors).  I mean, look at the choices here:

Chose one of the following:  Fun, Being on Time, Friends, Hard-Working

I mean, really?  Why?  Why can't I be all of those?  And I'm not even sure what they meant by "friends"...do I like friends?  Do I have them?  Am I one myself?  I don't know, but the answer is YES!  The thing is, I like fun, and I also work hard.  And I absolutely heart being on time, but I did go ahead and give that the lowest rating because my kids make me late constantly. 

Then I had to rate:  Impulsive, Good with Money, Loyal, Independent

Um...yes?  I mean what?  I'm impulsive, but I'm not impulsive with money...and since when are loyalty and independence mutually exclusive?  I don't get it!  So I rated independent lowest, because I am anything but that right now in reality, although my personality is waaayyyy too independent. 

Another one asked me to rate: Positive, Nature, Calm, Professional

There wasn't a box for "I am positive that it is my nature to be calm and professional.  I had to rate professional the lowest, because while I am very good at being professional, I completely hate it.  Then nature was second lowest, because I didn't know what that meant.  Do I have a nature?  Do I have nature?  Am I in nature?  Do I like nature?  Yes.  But still, what does it even mean???

So, I used this test to kill the last ten minutes of class, which was a bad idea, because it messed up my chill that came from two straight hours of typing random numbers for speed and accuracy, which is the most boring thing EVER, and calms me down.

What I discovered from the test is that I am equal in all four personalities, and when I have to go to the seminar tomorrow, I won't know which group to sit with, because they said that, while someone will very rarely have two personalities that are strong for them, they never have more.  Anyone who scored high in two is supposed to pick the one they think they identify with more.  Logically, I could do that and nobody would know the difference, but what if I pick the blues?  They are all no nonsense and follow the rules, which sounds safe but boring to me. The oranges are all fun and games and never get anything done, so I'd look like an idiot over there.  The greens are compassionate and caring, but I don't want to end up counseling the counselors...because it has nothing to do with why I'm there.  And the last group is gold, and they are respectful and like little cute puppy dogs only already trained.  I may choose this group, because my class is supposed to be either gold or blue, because those are the anal accounting types, but I don't really fit in with that type.  Accounting isn't exactly my passion, it's just something I happen to be able to do.

So...I hate personality tests, is my point, and now I feel all left out among people who actually do have a personality, and I either have none or I have multiple, which honestly, fits right in with my life theme anyway but is still kinda' depressing to think about buying enough cigarettes for four of me.