Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Oct 14, 2010

Personality Conferences

I only thought that the personality test was something to complain about until today when I discovered the follow-up personality "conference".  And because I know that everyone loves a complainer, you get to hear all about it.  You are welcome.

Half my class had been to the morning conference before I got there today, so I was bombarded with questions about my "color" as soon as I walked in the door.  When I said that I didn't have a predominant color, that I was equal in all four, everyone looked at me like I'm a freak, which, I guess people in accounting are used to having everything just so, and I should be forgiving of this.  Especially because, as soon as they realized how racist they were being against me, they told me that being equal in all colors meant that you fit into any group.  Also, in an effort to make me feel better, I was made aware that there was one other person (in the entire school) who scored equally in all colors. 

I know I talked about this last night, but this is why I don't like these tests.  I never have a group.  And that makes me feel very conflicted, because on one hand, I feel left out, but on the other hand, I abhor being labeled.  In all honesty, if someone said "I think you're an orange", I would immediately do whatever it took to prove that I am not, in fact, orange.  But the same goes for all colors.  I don't like being predicted.

Keeping that in mind, I quickly scanned the descriptions for each color, and chose green, because it had the word "non-conformist", and I figured that's as close as I could get to not really fitting in anywhere.  I sat with the green group at what was by far the smallest table in the room.  Every other color had two large tables.  Greens had nine people.  Then, one decided we suck and we were eight.

First order of business was making a list of our dislikes.  The only rule was that everyone at the table had to agree before it went on the list.  I have to be honest and say that I loved the green group.  We were hilarious.  We were smart, smart-alec and inventive.  We didn't dislike people, as much as things.  Our list included:
  • being told what to do
  • being put into groups
  • illogical arguments
The group who went after us called us out a little by saying "we don't like people who think they're smarter than everyone else...not to color-bash, greens."  UPH!  We didn't say we were smarter!  The lady leading the group said that greens tend to be smart, like big words and have an answer for everything...we didn't say that.  The orange group also mentioned that they didn't like when people took 20 minutes to say something that could be said in 5 seconds.  So in the spirit of fun competition, we went a little smartass on our second list, which was Likes:
  • being smarter than everyone else
  • taking twenty minutes to say something that could be said in five seconds
  • men and women who tame infernos, cope with natural disasters and rescue animals of a feline nature from plant forms, namely trees, in order to better the existence of mankind
  • big words
I actually had to reign in my group a few times, because since I'm not ALL green, I care about hurting people and I thought they were being kind of mean.  Also, I pulled a "blue" and fetched back the girl who left and asked everyone to be nice to her.  This made the greens mad at me, because they don't typically care about the feelings of others.  I agree that my own feelings are BS, but I do honestly care a little too much about those around me.

So we read our second list and got hated on by pretty much everyone...the oranges were mad that we made fun of them, the blues were mad because they felt like we were too hard on the oranges, and the golds were mad because we aren't generally rule followers and we like to save money, and golds like to follow rules and spend money. 

Then, we got a break, during which one of my fellow classmates asked "So...I'm guessing greens are the nerds, right?"  We were all "Wha...???  US?  Pshhh"  So she said that her second color was green, but she was going to do her best to change that.  Um, rude much? 

Here's the problem...I agree that greens are obnoxious.  But they're also smart and funny, which is why I enjoyed the group.  I would also have enjoyed partying with the oranges, sympathizing with the blues, and making lists with the golds.  But, because I chose to sit with the greens, I got all their rudeness pinned on me, as well.  Not cool when every other member of my class was gold or blue, the two groups who most hated the greens.  And another problem that resulted was that, because greens don't have feelings, it's ok to be mean to them, only I'M BLUE, TOO, PEOPLE! 

We got back to our class, and immediately, everyone started saying that they only thing they took away from it was that they don't like greens.  Sweet.  They made me cry.  No, I'm serious, the nerdy accounting people actually made me cry.  But it's whatever, because I'm blue enough that I'll be ready for us all to just get along by tomorrow.