Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Aug 30, 2010

Forgo-ing

I got to go to my kids' school today for "Parent Orientation".  This has been the final straw for me on any type of orientation.  I hate it.  A lot.

When I started school (this time around), I spent the first two weeks on orientation.  I got two handbooks.  Then I had to take a class on what was in the handbooks.  Then some tests on what I learned in the handbooks.  Then four videos in which they pretty much read the handbooks word-for-word.  Also a couple of PowerPoint presentations, again, word for word what was in the original handbooks.

When I put my son in daycare, I had to watch two more videos on daycare policies, and received two more handbooks. 

When I put my kids in school this year, I got five handbooks.  When they started classes, all five of them came home with another class-specific handbook.  Tonight, I got to go listen to each teacher read the handbook.

DO PEOPLE NOT KNOW HOW TO READ?!?!?!

Sorry.

But really.

Can those of us who know how to read just sign something that says we have read and understand the stupid handbook, and we are willing to accept the consequences if we chose to forgo having it read to us?  Please?  Because I've wasted nearly three weeks now learning things I already knew because I had already READ the information GIVEN TO ME.

Also, forgo is a word we really should use more. 

"I'd like to forgo informational videos, please."
"Can we just forgo being read to if we're not in Kindergarten?"
"I'm gonna' forgo this ticket, officer, but thanks!"
"I would like to retroactively forgo the last ten years of my life, please.  Thanks so much!"