Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Aug 12, 2010

It Started to be About Manners, but Ended Up with Hair Dye

I had to take the kids in to the school to be "evaluated", because they are going into public school this year after being home schooled.  Apparently, public schools are racist against parents who like their kids.  Anyway, I live in a snobby town.  It was kind of difficult to sit there for two hours in the lobby with all the kids because they were hungry and bored.  I was slightly frustrated, but I was trying to be smiley and nice to people, because I figure I'm stuck with them for at least one school year.  They weren't nice back.

While I was carrying two screaming (and rather large) children, a woman came in with a box of cookies and two boys about ten years old.  I held the door, expecting one of her boys to get it, so that I could juggle my kids.  They didn't.  My kids would have, or they would have at least said thank you.  Hers didn't.  Ok, not everyone teaches their kids these things, and even if they do, kids don't always notice this stuff, so I was all right with that.  Then she walked through the door.  I looked directly at her, smiled and said hi.  She just walked by.  She didn't say thank you or anything.  Um, excuse me?  I know she noticed me...the door didn't open by magic...it was being held by a woman holding two children/tornado sirens.  I wanted to yell at her, but I talked myself out of it.  I'm glad I did, because apparently, she works at the school.  I don't want to start off being psycho-mom.  (That will come later, but I try to hold off for the first month.)

(PS This same woman left her kids out with mine while she went to work, but as soon as our kids started playing together, she came out and made them go around the corner....???  What was that?)

So I sat there forever.  I noticed that every woman working there or coming in with paperwork looked exactly alike.  Their hair is the same shade of blonde.  Same cut.  Same body, clothes, shoes....wow.  I mean, it was like someone had a cookie cutter shaped like elitist-Stepford-wife-snob-no-manners and made lots of them and dumped them all into one spot.  It kind of freaked me out.

Maybe that's why none of them could hear me when I said hi?  Like, maybe the hair dye messes with your hearing and you can only hear people who look just like you?  I have to go back to meet with them today, but I'm worried they won't know I'm there unless I bleach my hair and lose a few pounds (ok, more than a few, shut up).

I am not sure I'm going to fit in here at all.  But that's ok, because fitting in isn't really my thing.  It is a little intimidating, though.  There were a few women who were nice to me, but they weren't made from the cookie cutter.  So I'm really going with the hair dye/hearing theory. 

The meeting today is to go over whatever they learned about my kids during their evaluation.  I don't want to go, and I'm a little afraid of the reputation I'm going to give myself if they start telling me what to do with my kids.  On the upside, I may be able to snap a picture to show you guys how much they all look alike.  I'm sure they want to be internet famous...although it probably won't work out for them because nobody will be sure who is who.