Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Aug 23, 2010

School is an A-Hole

I miss the good old days (before I was alive) when people were just good at stuff and that's what they got paid for.  When school was an option.  Because I hate school. 

I was home sick today, which means that I have to make up the hours I should have been there or I won't get my full grade.  Being sick is not an excused absence, even though they ask that you please refrain from germing up the classroom.  I'm gonna' try to limp my way through tomorrow so I won't be more behind, but I'm wondering if they'll let me bring my bed.

Also, my kids hate school.  They are so intimidated by this huge snobby school they're going to, and I don't really know what to do about it.  The oldest wants to go back a grade, because the teacher moves too fast.  Is it selfish that I want him to stay where he is because she is my favorite teacher any of them have ever had?  Prolly.

The second son loves school, but he's "gifted" (whatever that's supposed to mean), so of course he loves school.  It's smart-kid crack for him.

The third son is having fun with his friends, but he's upset that he's not making more friends.  Am I wrong for telling him that I don't really want him being friends with those kids anyway?  (again, prolly)His best friend is in his class, so he's happy with that, but he's used to being a big fish in a little pond at his old school.  He doesn't really know how to handle people not automatically wanting to be his friend.  So of course, there must be something wrong with those other kids, because I agree...who doesn't want to be his friend?  He's like the coolest kid ever.

My kindergarten daughter doesn't like her teacher and can't ever find her classroom, which is right inside the front door of the school.  I'm thinking she gets scared when she goes inside and then forgets what she's doing.  She's also not making friends as easily as she did last year.  What's wrong with these kids? 

The pre-k super-aggressive daughter is doing awesome.  She likes it, she tells her teachers what's up, she takes care of her cousin who is in the other pre-k class...she's all over school.  She's been very busy writing new curriculum and coming up with better schedules, as a matter of fact.  I should let her shadow each of the older kids for a day.  She'd beat up anyone who doesn't want to be friends and tell the teachers to slow it down a little.  She'd be all over that.

I'm thinking of farming from here on out.  Who cares about readin' and 'rithmetic when your kids are being tortured on a daily basis?  Not me.  I think there's a better way.