Quote of the Day

While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our config.sys settings. ~Dave Barry

Sep 1, 2010

A Night in the Life....

Because, I wouldn't be for realz if I didn't post something like this at some point...

5:30pm - Power goes out due to...well, I'm assuming the storm, even though it had passed hours earlier.  I was halfway through cooking dinner, so nothing was really quite hot or cooked so much.  We ate salmonella and e.coli in the dark.  Tasty.

6:00pm - Take the kids to my favorite coffee shop to do homework in the light.

6:10pm - Turn around and come back home because I left the stove on when the power went out, and I didn't want to come home to being homeless.  Again.

6:20 - Head back to the coffee shop and unload kids and homework.

6:30 - Have the following conversation:

Coffee Shop Dude:  Are these all your kids?

Me:  Yes

Coffee Shop Dude:  Really?  ALL of them?

Me:  Yes

Coffee Shop Dude:  Wow...so...five of them?

Me:  Uh...six, dude, there are six.

Coffee Shop Dude:  oh...one, two, three, four, five....um?

Me:  Oh S***!  Where's Emma?  (As a matter of fact, yes, losing one kid then cussing in front of the other five did win me Mommy of the Year.  How did you know?)

Coffee Shop Dude:  Are you serious?

Me:  uhhh....I'll be right back.  :::Finds Emma asleep in the back corner of the van:::

6:45 - Everyone does homework and plays with their Mimi who lives around the corner from our coffee shop.

8:00 - Heading home, trying to avoid police dudes, because I'm pretty sure my car isn't completely legal.  Yet.  Again.  But, whatever, yo.  There are lots of polices on our way home, but they aren't too worried about the legality of the mom-van, so whew!

8:30 - Everyone is tucked away in bed.  For the first time.

11:00 - Everyone is tucked away in bed.  For the last time.
           I get ready for bed.  See a mouse.  Scream. 
           I decide it couldn't have been a mouse, and go to bed.  Again.
           I look again, and there is so something moving around by the far wall.  YUK!!!
           I get real brave and turn on the light.
           It's a freakin' frog.
           In my bedroom
           Why?
           Ignore the frog and go to sleep.

12, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5:00 - I'm awake, wondering if the stupid frog is ever going to stop hopping around in circles.  He doesn't. 

6:00 - Get out of bed to deal with the frog.  Can't find him.  Wake the kids up out of revenge for staying up so late.